The Security of KVM Switch in Applications
1. Is the remote KVM switch secure?
Everything has its two sides. The emergence of many new network products can not only facilitate people's work and life, but also bring security risks that can not be ignored. Especially in the network era, the security of data transmission has always been a high degree of concern for operations and maintenance personnel. So, is it safe for data operations personnel to manage and control their data with the help of remote KVM switch?
2. Security of remote KVM switch
(1) As the only interface for managing multiple servers, the security of the remote KVM switch is very important . Analog KVM is limited by the scope of application and requires only a clear division of IT management and console access to greatly improve security. Digital KVM products, on the other hand, are network-based products that can be accessed through the network as long as the IP address is known, so the security requirements for the device are much higher.
(2) The security issue is not only the security of the output data, but also the security of the user accounts. Since KVM is an open system based on IP network, there is a possibility that user accounts can be stolen by someone with ulterior motives through various hacking methods or network monitoring. It is also important to pay attention to the hot backup capability of the centralized management system of the KVM system and the ease of maintenance, especially the possibility for users to maintain it themselves.
(3) Security issues: In terms of transmission, analog signals are higher than digital signals in KVM, because digital products transmit keyboard, mouse, and display digital signals. So if they are stolen through the network, it will cause great security concerns. How to encrypt these signals is crucial. Now the digital KMV encryption methods on the market are: SSL, DES, 3DES, so it is important to understand clearly before purchasing KVM equipment. Transmission security is not only in the encryption method, the most advanced KVM devices use the incremental video transmission mechanism, i.e., only the changing video part is transmitted, which makes it impossible to restore the original information even if the signal is stolen.
(4) The most important thing for enterprises to consider when choosing a KVM solution is the security of IP-based KVM. The fundamental purpose of KVM is to promote remote control technology for servers and PCs. But at the same time, there are huge security concerns lurking. If a KVM system is set up to operate remotely, then naturally there are risks. Enterprises should develop the crucial notion that they should never skimp on security when choosing IP-based KVM.
In conclusion, as long as you take good precautions in security, then whether it is an analog or digital KVM switch, or an IP-based remote KVM switch, its security is still guaranteed.