Working Principle and Advantages of Networked KVM Switch
The networked KVM switch plays an important role in a server room where the racks do not accommodate multiple monitors and keyboards. It can monitor and control multiple computers and servers locally or remotely, so a KVM console consisting of a keyboard, mouse, and monitor is the most convenient and economical solution.
1. What Is a Networked KVM Switch?
Networked KVM switch is also known as multi-computer controller. A KVM switch can control 2, 4, 8, 16, or more computers or servers. Its simple interface is easy to operate, and the network connections between them can be controlled anywhere in the world. The control port of the KVM switch is mainly used to connect the USB port of the keyboard and mouse to the VGA port of the monitor, while the service port has a different number of RJ45 ports to connect the computer or server, and they can be connected by CAT5, CAT5E, and CAT6.
Working principle of the KVM switch is through the console composed of a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to securely access computers, servers, and other devices from local or remote users, and control them over the network.
2. What Are the Advantages of Networked KVM Switch
(1) Save the space of keyboard, mouse, and monitor. For example, an 8-channel networked KVM switch can control eight servers with a set of mouse, keyboard, and monitor.
(2) Improve operational efficiency. In the past, users needed to take the initiative to find faults, which not only took time and energy and was inefficient, but now a networked KVM switch can control all the machines, which not only saves manpower but also improves efficiency.
(3) Save costs. The consumption of space and manpower is reduced, which can save a lot of costs. And the cost controlling of network operation is one of the key factors for the success of enterprises.
(4) Stable managing locally or remotely. Using the KVM switch for local or remote management ensures 24-hour uninterrupted management and maintenance of network, which guarantees network security and stability.
3. How to Use the Networked KVM Switch?
The KVM switch can be switched by buttons, OSD menu, and shortcut keys.
(1) Button switching uses the physical button on the KVM. You can select the corresponding server by directly pressing the physical button.
(2) The OSD menu is the internal software of the KVM. You can use the mouse to select the corresponding server to switch according to the server name displayed on the menu.
(3) Shortcut keys are usually combination keys, such as Ctrl and a data key. If there are four servers, 1, 2, 3 and 4, select Ctrl+1 to select the first server, which is simple and convenient.